North City consists of two distinct historic areas, the first immediately north of the City Gate to San Carlos Avenue, the post-1821 city limit. The second major area is located north of San Carlos Avenue. Significant development of this area occurred only after 1900. Prior to that period the area was mostly cleared and used for defense and agriculture purposes. Only three buildings in the area date from the 19th century with concentrated development at the beginning of WWI in the Nelmar Terrace and Fullerwood Park subdivisions. (The Florida School for Deaf and Blind dates to the mid - 1880's.)

North City